Sunday, May 9, 2010

My Mother, My Friend

In 2006, I wrote a poem for my mom as a part of her Mother's Day gift. This poem still remains true today and highlights the many attributes that I admire about her. On this Mother's Day 2010, she means more to me than ever. She is not only my mother, but my best friend.

Since the poem was written several years ago, there were a few lines that needed updating like the one that says, "...awesome Nana to beautiful Briley." Now there are three beautiful grandchildren in the picture. I also had to change the line from twenty-seven years to thirty-one. I could've done without that change! Ha!

I don't know what I would do without my mom. I see her and talk to her every day. I value our relationship and will be forever grateful for all that she has done for me. My mom is the best! I love you Mom!!!

My Mother, My Friend

My mother is a chef in the kitchen every day of the week, especially on Sunday,

a mentor always available for advice on relationships and life’s problems, and

the one who loves me regardless of my faults and shortcomings.

My mother is someone who misses me when I am away,

the one who picks me up when I fall flat on my face, and

a down-to-earth woman who seems to be capable of balancing everything in life.

My mother is a Christian lady who has taught me through her example of love for Christ,

one who holds me with comforting arms, even after thirty-one years, and

a shoulder to cry on and a spirit to laugh with.

My mother is where I inherited my thick, brown hair and standout eyes,

the source of my compassionate tender-heart and ability to nurture children, and

someone who shares my love of shopping and time spent relaxing on the beach.

My mother is the one whose approval I seek on every aspect of my life,

a painter, a seamstress, a gardener, and a decorator, and

someone who dedicated endless hours helping me plan for my wedding day.

My mother is the playmate who created special childhood memories with me,

the guide who embedded morals and values within her teenager daughter, and

my role model of all the things a mother does, even when it goes unnoticed.

My mother is a teacher, an encourager, a supporter, and a friend to many,

the proud lady who shared in my joy the day I graduated college, and

the one who took me to my first concert and several more thereafter.

My mother is a thoughtful gift giver on every special occasion,

gorgeous, stylish, and young—all set off by her beautiful heart, and

a creative mind willing to share ideas on projects and tasks.

My mother is a devoted wife to her hardworking husband and loyal to her parents,

an awesome Nana to beautiful Briley, Macklan, and Hadley, and

the best friend a daughter could ask for in life.

My mother is my right hand, a diamond in the rough,

my biggest fan in life, my momma forever, and

ultimately my best friend.


This is one proud Nana, but who can blame her? Look at these beautiful grandchildren!


Had to post these next two just so I can show off Macklan's fake grin. He has started doing this when I take his picture. It's actually quite funny, only because I still usually manage to get a few nice smiles!



HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!

No comments: