Saturday, March 6, 2010

QUARANTINED!!!

Disclaimer: This post is NOT for the squeamish!
I've not posted much this week. That's because every day has pretty much been a repeat of the day before. This week Macklan and I have been quarantined to our house. Living in isolation from the outside world with the exception of a doctor's visit on Wednesday. Reason...rotavirus!

Throughout Sunday night into early Monday morning, Macklan kept waking up with a gag reflux and saying that his tummy hurt. Around 6:00 AM, the vomiting kicked in so I immediately scheduled a sub for the day. Until around noon, Little Man was one sick boy vomiting nearly every thirty minutes. He couldn't even keep Pedialyte pops and Gatorade down. After his exhausting morning, he slept and laid on the couch for the rest of the afternoon and evening.

Not knowing what the night hours would bring or how he would feel Tuesday, I decided it would be best to go ahead and stay home with him at least one more day. Thankfully, he made it through the night without any more vomiting and Tuesday brought a better day. He seemed to be more energetic and was a little more interested in eating; that is until late Tuesday night. Then he took a turn for the worse. We not only had vomit to deal with, but also diarrhea. This continued throughout the night. I was concerned that Macklan could be dehydrating, so I called his pediatrician first thing Wednesday morning.

After a thorough examination, Dr. Q diagnosed Macklan with rotavirus and educated me on the the virus and what type of foods/drinks to offer and avoid. He also called in a prescription for a nausea reducing medicine. We picked up the prescription and some Pedialyte at CVS and headed straight for home. The rest of the afternoon into the evening consisted of rest and pushing the fluids. There was no vomiting until around 1:00 AM, however it wasn't Macklan who was sick. It was me, and it was not pretty! Other than the vomiting, my worst symptom was the uncomfortable joint and muscle pain that seemed to move throughout my body.

Luckily, Scott had planned to stay home with Macklan on Thursday, so that I could go to school at least one day this week. However, Scott didn't know he would end up taking care of both of us! I don't know what I would've done without him! There's no way I could've taken care of Macklan in my condition. I spent most of the day in bed. Macklan had a pretty good day until the middle of the night. He vomited again. Poor thing. Why are we always more sick at night?

Yesterday Scott went back to work. Macklan and I spent most of the day curled up together on the couch watching TV. Both of us were weak and sleep deprived. We continued to eat our recommended foods: bananas, apples, toast, dry cereal, chicken noodle soup, Pedialyte (for Macklan), and Gatorade (for me). Since Macklan has been sick, he has not seen Briley. This separation has been almost unbearable for the two of them. So Nana brought Briley over so the two of them could talk and kiss through the French door, and later they delivered a bouquet of balloons to Macklan. This made his day (and her's)!

So last night was restful for all of us. Well, until early this morning when Scott woke up sick! Will this quarantine ever be lifted? Not soon enough!!! Not soon enough!!!

3 comments:

Brittany said...

Poor baby! I can only imagine what your week was like -- I hope that all is well soon!!! ;) Yuck!

LOVE the new header - how did you do that?? I have to know! And I love love the new name!!!!!!!!!!!

Leanne said...

Praying for you guys! Macklan and Briley remind me so much of Abe and Maddie. I don't think they would love each other any more if they were siblings! They are 28 months apart. how close are Macklan and Briley?

Kecia said...

Thanks for the get well wishes! We actually need them. Macklan threw up again last night! I feel so sorry for him.

Brittany--I'll send you an email about the header and I'm glad you like the name. I was ready to change my blog name to not feel so exclusive to just Macklan/boy. I've debated a few ideas. I think I've settled on this one.

Leanne--Briley turned 5 in Dec. and Macklan will be 3 in July. They can't stand being apart for even a day! So this week has been hard!!!!!